Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Home, Home on the Web

I keep wandering around the internet, looking for the perfect site to settle down, but of course, there isn't any such. All the things I like to do on the web just aren't to be found on one site. Mostly, I like to write, and read stuff by other dedicated amateurs. I thought it might be a nice idea to try out a site where older people can hang out, kind of a Myspace for seniors. Alas, there really isn't any such. I signed up with Eons, which has groups and blogging, but the site is so badly designed that it actually discourages participation. And since the membership isn't very big, finding mature, intelligent people who are still interested in learning and in what's going on in the world is a lost cause. Maybe they're there, but are just too hard to find. I've been there a couple of weeks, have written a few blog posts, joined a few groups, but basically nothing is happening. Just lots of empty, echoing hallways.

I did try Myspace way back, but gave up in frustration and disgust. Aside from the horrible design, the fad for lying about your age means that even if you input an age range in the search engine, most of the supposedly mature people you find have the face and figures of movie stars or high school kids, the vocabulary of sixth graders, and the interests of the undereducated and terminally-bored.

Right now, I'm trying out gather.com and so far I like it well enough to think I might stay.

No comments: